Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Why Theatre Matters To Us: Lisa Uhlig

Ghostlight is sharing our personal stories of why theatre is so important to us and, in turn, to others. We hope you'll feel inspired to support the arts now and forever more.

Lisa Uhlig (far left) as the Stage Manager in Ghostlight Ensemble's production of "Six Characters in Search of an Author."
 
Lisa Uhlig, Director of Operations, Ensemble Member

"I was always a ham, the goofball, the candy-crazed kid growing up. Then I hit middle school, and that was TOUGH (we've all got our stories). So by the time I made it to high school, I was still that goofball/candy freak, but only to a select few. Otherwise I was that shy kid in the corner. That's where theatre came in. I found I had a knack for set design and an eye for stage pictures (directing). It was my high school technical director who gave me my first chance to push my comfort zone, to try something new within a safe space. He handed me a list one day and said 'I think you can organize getting all this done.' The faith he had in me encouraged me to excel. I was teaching others the ropes of the shop in no time.

"So I guess that's what theatre has often done for me, and what I believe it does/can do for others, show us what we're really capable of and encourage us to embrace and utilize it — a sense of agency."

http://www.ghostlightensemble.com/get-funding-fundraiser

No comments:

Post a Comment